Lineman receives 10 offers

At the start of the summer, offensive lineman and center Thomas Oser ’13 had four offers. By the middle of August,  ten Division I programs were knocking on his door.

Oser, who is currently the 39th best offensive guard in the nation according to rivals.com, has offers from six Pac-12 schools: Washington State, The University of Colorado Boulder, Utah, Stanford, Oregon State and the defending Rose Bowl Champion Oregon Ducks.

Other schools on Oser’s list include Mississippi, San Diego State, New Mexico State and Vanderbilt, the SEC school that quarterback Chad Kanoff ’13 will play for next year.

The 6-foot-4 lineman has rotated between the left tackle and center positions for the Wolverines, but he thinks that he will play center in college because he lacks size to play offensive tackle.

“I’ve been playing mostly  interior lineman in front of coaches, but I played center all last year, so I’ll probably play center in college wherever I go,” Oser said.

Oser put his name on the map in June when he attended various recruiting camps including the Rivals camp held in Eugene, Ore., Stanford camp, Vanderbilt camp and USC camp. Oser said that the plays he ran and conditioning drills he did at the camps were what best showcased him to Division I scouts.

“The camps are a big reason why I have so many offers,” Oser said.

Oser plans on taking his time to make the decision because he wants to make official visits to schools first.

“I’m looking for a school that has a good balance of academics and athletics,” Oser said. “I’m really just looking at trying to meet people to see where I’m going to fit in for the next four or five years.”