Baseball secures the victory over Birmingham High School

Charlie Seymour

The baseball team beat Birmingham High School 18-7 to continue its 2-0 streak in the second game of the season March 22. After a 3-2 win over El Camino Real High School, in the season opener, the squad looks to continue its winning streak in the next matchup against nationally ranked JSerra Catholic High School Monday.  

Northwestern baseball commit Bennett Markinson ’21 said despite COVID restrictions postponing the team’s regular season and cutting short its season last Spring, the team has still gotten off to a running start due to the determination of its players throughout the pandemic.

“It’s so great to be back on the field with my teammates and getting to have a season,” Markinson said. “Although we weren’t able to have a fall and winter season like normal, we still have great chemistry which is definitely a huge factor in being able to start the season off strong.”

With five sophomores and three freshmen on its roster, Will Gasparino ’23 attributes the team’s early success to the ability of its leaders and new players to work well together.

“It feels great to start our season off with a winning record,” Gasparino said. “Having great coaches and seniors who have led the way has made all the difference. The young talent has blended well with their leadership.”