Baseball enters Mission League with a strong start

Charlie Seymour

The baseball team clinched another victory to further its 8-3 record in a 7-1 Mission League opener win against St. Francis High School Tuesday. The team looked to rebuild its hot streak after losing 9-5 to Orange Lutheran High School, in its previous game. 

The squad’s season got off to a strong start, winning its first four games at home against El Camino Real High School, Birmingham High School, Jserra High School and Paraclete High School, but closely lost to Mater Dei High School and Orange Lutheran High School in away games.

The Wolverines hope to further their momentum in Mission league play in their upcoming match at St. Francis on April 14, the second game of the team’s three game series against the school. With CIF’s recent announcement of its plan to hold Southern Section playoffs for high school sports including baseball at the end of this season, returning to the playoffs after its cancellation last year due to the coronavirus pandemic is the team’s top priority.

“One of [CIF’s] most important goals was to provide full regular seasons and Section Championships for those who had lost those [teams] who had lost those opportunities last year,” CIF Commissioner of Athletics Rob Wigod said in the announcement to Southern Section athletic directors. “We are not done yet in completing this task, but it is a credit to all of you who have remained steadfast in your ongoing efforts to make it all happen.”