Girls basketball loses to West Torrance High School

Danny Johnson

The girls basketball team lost to West Torrance High School 64-62. The Wolverines struggled defensively and struggled to score much during the second quarter. This was the team’s first defeat of the season after starting off the year 4-0.

Point guard Jamie Yue ‘24 said she sees this as a game that the team as a whole can learn from.

“I think that we need to give the other team credit for playing hard all four quarters, as opposed to us giving full effort in spurts,” Yue said. “As a team, I think we need to be more enthusiastic and play with more energy.”

Stanford University commit Kiki Iriafen ‘21 said that the team’s poor defensive effort is what ultimately led to the squad’s defeat.

“We got lost and disorganized on defense,” Iriafen said. “They outhustled us. We need to communicate better on defense and execute better on offense.”

Last year, Iriafen averaged 23.3 points and 15 rebounds a game, leading the team all the way to the state CIF semifinals where the squd was eventually defeated by Cathedral Catholic High School. This outstanding play won Iriafen the Wooden Award, which is awarded yearly to the best basketball players in California. 

The team will look to bounce back in its next game at Pasadena High School Thursday.