Girls and boys track and field team keeps up its winning streak

Maxine Zuriff

The girls and boys track and field teams continued its winning streak during the meet against Marymount High School and Loyola High School on Saturday at Ted Slavin Field. The girls team won by a large margin, winning the meet 93-19, and the boys team beat Loyola 67-60. 

Mile runner India Spencer ’21 said the team has been very successful this year because of the commitment each team member puts in. 

“Both the boys and girls team this year has shown tremendous amounts of effort and I think that is why we are doing so well,” Spencer said. “Every one of my teammates shows consistent dedication and I am excited to see how the season plans out.” 

In the girls meet against Marymount High School, sprinter Lauryn Milburn ’22 took first place in the 100-meter dash. Long-distance runner Chance Walker ’21 took first place in the girls 400-meter dash, and long-distance runner Violet Barron ’22 took first place in the mile. Pole vaulter Jessica Thompson ’23 took first place in the pole vault event.

In the boys meet against Loyola High School, sprinter Chase Harleston ’21 took first place in the 100-meter dash and was part of the boys 4×100 meter relay where the group also took first place. Additionally, triple jumper Jason Thompson ’22 set a new school record of 45 feet and seven inches. 

In the boys meet, it came down to the 4×400 boy relay where Will Ruden-Sella ’21, Nicolas Ladreyt ’21, Aaron Milburn ’24 and Isaiah Jeter ’21 took first place securing the victory. 

The squad’s next meet will be on May 7 at Arcadia High School, where the boys and girls will compete in Arcadia’s Invitational Tournament.