Members of the track and field team set records at the Arcadia Invitational

Amelia Scharff

The girls and boys track and field teams took home big wins at the Arcadia Invitational on Friday and Saturday at Arcadia High School this past weekend. 

The Arcadia Invitational is one the largest meets in California, with over 200 teams in attendance. The Wolverines had team members competing in most of the events held at the meet. 

Pole-vaulter Jessica Thompson ’23 received second place in the Pole Vault Open when she cleared 11 feet, 9 inches in a new personal record and school record. 

Jason Thompson ’22 also won big in the Triple Jump Invitational, setting his new personal record and setting a new state record of 47 feet, 2 inches. This jump puts him at California’s No. 1 ranked jump and at the country’s No. 9 ranked jump this season, according to an  @hwathletics Instagram post. Jason Thompson said that he was very excited to set a new state record, especially after all of the hard work he has put in this season. 

“It felt amazing [to win],” Jason Thompson said. “There were a lot of really talented guys competing so it was really cool to put on for [the team]. I’m looking forward to our team winning a lot of meets in the near future.”

In the Girls Sprint Medley, runners Adrienne Usher ’22, Gisele Thompson ’24, Alyssa Thompson ’23 and Daniela Quintero ’22 were named Arcadia Champions with their time of 4:04.29. This is the fastest time for this event in California and the third-fastest time in the country, according to an @hwathletics Instagram post.  

Overall, the girls and boys squads have remained undefeated, going 5-0 this season. Recently, the squads defeated Loyola High School and Marymount High School on May 1 at home. The squads look to continue their seasons in their next Mission League Meet against Alemany High School at home on May 14.