Boys Basketball loses to Chaminade College Preparatory High School

Amelia Scharff

The boys basketball team lost to Chaminade College Preparatory High School 66-54 on Wednesday at home, making the squad’s record 8-1 in Mission League play and 12-3 overall this season.  

The Wolverines started off slow in the first quarter, only scoring six to the Eagles 12 points. For the second and third quarters, the Wolverines continued to be outscored, however, in the fourth quarter, they started to gain more momentum, outsourcing the Eagles by one point. 

This Mission League defeat broke the Wolverines’ nine-game winning streak they have built over the past month. The Wolverines also played the Chaminade Eagles before this season, beating them 92-84 on the road on April 17. Because the squad had beat the Eagles before, forward Derek Schnieder said he was disappointed in his team’s performance. 

“We lacked energy,” Schnieder said. “We need to play better in transition and play better transition defense. We also need to run our plays better in order to improve for the next game.”

The Wolverines look to continue their season on May 15 against Etiwanda High School at home. The Wolverines only have three games left in the regular season, and they will likely be competing in the CIF-SS Open Division during playoffs, according to a CIF-SS Poll. Last year, the squad lost to Sierra Canyon High School in the CIF Open Division State Playoffs. After losing four starting seniors last season, the Wolverines have a competitive run ahead of them if they hope to make it as far as last year.