Girls’ basketball goes 2-2 in opening tournament at Redondo

The girls’ basketball team has won three of its last four games including a 30-point blowout. Most recently, the team defeated El Camino Real 52-50 on Friday, Dec. 14 in a non-league away game.

The Wolverines own victories over Oaks Christian, Carson, Woodrow Wilson and El Camino Real. Their losses came against JSerra, West and Sierra Canyon in a 19-point away loss at Sierra Canyon.

The team next plays in the Santa Barbara High School Tournament of Champions, which starts today.  The Wolverines will then play in the West Coast Holiday Festival, before opening their league season with an away game at Notre Dame on Jan. 8.  The team will play its first league home game against Chaminade on Jan. 15.

Natalie Florescu ’13 leads the team in scoring with 15 points per game, and posted a 24-point, five-rebound, five-assist stat line in their victory over Carson in the Redondo Tournament. Florescu is coming off a self-described  tough shooting performance in the two point win over El Camino Real.

“We’ve been on a roller coaster, where we’ve won one game and lost the next one,” Florescu said.

“Right now, what we’re struggling with is always coming out with the same intensity. When you look at each game we’ve lost, it’s always been the first quarter where we haven’t played well,” she said.

Injuries have been prevalent early in the year.  Florescu has been dealing with a finger and a hamstring injury and there have been plenty of ankle injuries on the team, including the one forward Glenne Carter ’14 suffered that has forced her to miss time in the early season.

With Carter out, the team has been even more guardheavy than expected, but Kathi Bolten-Ford ’13 has stepped up and played a big role in the frontcourt. Bolten-Ford has averaged eight rebounds a game and posted two double-doubles on the year.

The Wolverines will continue to rely on production from a thin frontline that could be sparked by the return of Carter. Florescu also stressed the importance of consistency on a team that features only three seniors, and the continued success of the pressure defense to create turnovers and deflections.