Offensive lineman to compete in All-American football game

Offensive lineman Thomas Oser ’13 will play in the second annual Semper Fidelis All-American Bowl on Jan. 4, a nationally-televised high school football game broadcast by the NFL Network at the Home Depot Center in Carson, California.

Oser will be one of 100 high school players on the gridiron in a traditional east versus west matchup.

“We believe this game is different for many great reasons, but being able to identify college ready student athletes is a key ingredient for what makes this game so special,” Bowl founder Shaon Berry said. “Players across the nation have an opportunity to have standout senior seasons and earn their way onto the playing field beyond media hype and internet analysis. These guys are immediate impact guys — they are the real deal.”

Notable players who played in last year’s game include University of California Berkeley wide receiver Bryce Treggs, University of Washington wide receiver Jaydon Mickens, Oklahoma State quarterback Wes Lunt and University of Georgia running back Todd Gurley.

The U.S. Marine Corps hosts the game to promote “honor, courage and commitment,” according to the bowl’s website.

“The commitment these players have demonstrated to their education, the leadership they have shown in their school and community and the courage they have displayed in choosing a positive life path makes them an inspiration and worthy to be seen on a national stage,” Marine Commanding General Joseph Osterman said. “There are thousands of skilled football players in the country we could select to play in our Semper Fidelis All-American Bowl, but we are only offering this opportunity to the best players with high moral character who demonstrate leadership in all aspects of their lives.”

Oser will report to the Home Depot Center on Dec. 30 to meet his teammates. Each team will practice for a week before the Friday night game.

“I’m looking forward to competing with kids that I’m probably going to be competing with at the next level,” Oser said. “It’s going to be a good test for me.”

Oser has yet to commit to a Division I program, but he has narrowed his choices to Oregon, Stanford and Vanderbilt. He will take official visits to Stanford and Vanderbilt in January before making his commitment.

“College is going to be a whole other animal to tackle, and this is the first step to see what I have against some other guys,” Oser said.