Fall teams finish playoff competition without CIF titles

All seven fall teams made it to the playoffs, but zero received a CIF ring.

In its first season under Head Coach Scot Ruggles, the varsity football team made CIF playoffs for the first time since 2009. The team went 6-5 overall with a 2-3 record in league play, but was knocked out in the first round of play­offs after losing to Camarillo 48-21.

“We grew as a program, without question,” defensive tackle Henry Schlossberg ’13 said. “We like to think we set a precedent for making playoffs in this league for other classes to come.”

In Mission League finals, the girls’ varsity tennis teams swept singles and doubles titles. After league finals, the girls defeated Viewpoint 16-2 in the first round of the CIF playoffs, but lost 11-7 to Tesoro in the second round.

The tennis team concluded its season with a record of 17-2, and an undefeated league record of 10-0.

Following the girls’ fifth-straight Mission League championship, both the boys’ and the girls’ varsity cross country teams survived two elimination rounds in CIF preliminaries and CIF Finals to make it to State Finals.

The girls team placed fifth at State with Trishta Dordi ’15 finishing 13th in the girls’ race. The boys placed 12th overall with David Manahan ’14 fin­ishing 27th in the boys’ race.

The boys’ varsity water polo team defeated Beckman 16-3 in a wild card round to reach the CIF playoffs. The Wolverines then defeated El Toro 15-11 in the first round, but fell to number one ranked Mater Dei 15-6 in the CIF quarterfinals, ending their season with an overall record of 20-10. The Wolverines re­turn all of their starters head­ing into next season.

“This offseason, we are all going to play with each other in this club, we are going to be practicing year-round,” center guard Warren Snyder ’14 said. “We are going to be so close and we are going to have a lot of momentum heading into next season.”

With the 2-1 strokes victory over Edison in league semifinals, the varsity field hockey team advanced to league finals, where it was defeated by Huntington Beach 1-0 in a golden goal overtime period.

The team’s season ended with an overall record of 16-2-2, with a 7-1-1 record in league.

After winning the Mission League title, the girls’ varsity volleyball team defeated Calvary Chapel 3-0 in the first round of CIF Playoffs.

However, the Wolverines’ season was brought to an end in a 3-2 defeat to San Juan Hills in the second round. The girls’ volleyball team had a final record of 24-11 in 2012.

Girls’ golf went 6-1 in the regular season before taking second in Mission League finals. At team CIF Finals, the Wolverines just missed winning the CIF title, placing second to Notre Dame.

Additional reporting by Luke Holthouse and Patrick Ryan.