Girls soccer switches offensive formation

Since changing formations at the start of the season, players say the varsity girls’ soccer team has been very successful and will be testing its skill in the Canyon in Mater Dei Invitational.

The major change that the team made this season was changing its formation from a 4-3-3 to a 4-4-2. Head Coach Richard Simms made the switch because the team was struggling in the 4-3-3 formation.

With four defenders, four midfielders and two fowards, the 4-4-2 formation is one of the most common formations in soccer throughout the world.

“Switching from a 4-3-3 to a 4-4-2 was huge for our team,” Gores said. “After the switch we started to really connect and form a rhythm to our game. It wasn’t very difficult to adjust because we played a 4-4-2 last year and we’re already pretty comfortable with the formation.”

The team’s first game was against Calabasas, in which the Wolverines powered past their opponents with an 8-0 shutout. The team has recorded its only loss against Mira Costa, 2-1. However, the Wolverines were able to turn it around with consecutive wins against Hart and Oaks Christian.

Hannah Lichtenstein ’13 and Rina Gores ’15 have been at the front of the attack this season with seven goals apiece.

“We get better and more experienced every game,” Lichtenstein said. “Talent- wise, I think we are superior to most of the teams we will be playing in both Mission League and CIF. Our main issue will be our size and the ability to stay focused and mentally tough. However, I have a great amount of faith in this team especially after the El Camino performance.”

The team will soon play in the Canyon in Mater Dei Invitational. The first game will be against Mater Dei.

“The Mater Dei tournament is a rough wake-up call,” Lichtenstein said. “All the teams down there play a very direct, aggressive style that we really don’t see around our area, but will be our biggest competition come CIF. The tournament is a great way to see where the team is at right now and where we’re going to need to be in February.”

The team competed in the competition last year, but was knocked out by Aliso Niguel in the quarterfinals. Last year, the team only recorded two losses, both to teams that will also be competing in this years’ tournament.

The team’s first league game will be on Jan. 4 against Louisville.

“I can tell you that the highest goal for everyone on this team is to get a ring,” Lichtenstein said.