Baseball defeats Orange Lutheran High School to secure spot in CIF-SS Championship

Just+after+winning+the+semi-final+game+against+Orange+Lutheran%2C+the+baseball+squad+joins+together.+

Sandra Koretz

Just after winning the semi-final game against Orange Lutheran, the baseball squad joins together.

The boys baseball team defeated Orange Lutheran High School with a score of 3-2 in the CIF-SS Division I semi-final playoffs on Tuesday at the O’Malley Family Field. Currently, the team stands at an overall record of 28-4 and a league record of 17-1.

The Wolverines scored within the first two innings and maintained their score through the end of the semi-final game. Bennett Markinson ’21 hit a solo home run and David Lozano ’23 and George Cooper ’21 both hit RBI singles. 

Outfielder and right hand pitcher Alex Shane ’22 said that with the help of his teammates, the team was able to achieve victory against Orange Lutheran.

“The game went great,” Shane said. “We played the way we have played all year, pitched great and our offense got the job done. Bryce Rainer ’21 came through for us again on the mound and Bennett’s home run in the first, set the mood for the game.”

Colin Luse ’22 said that their final game against J Serra High School will force his teammates to continue to show their ability to overcome obstacles and continue working on the skills they have honed through their 2021 season.

“It’s two teams with a lot of firepower but the starting pitching is going to keep the offenses in check,” Luse said. “Getting a lead early in this game is important as well as working the pitch count of the opposing pitcher. Many times this year we have come from behind to win. Resilience is a very important trait for a team vying for a championship and it will help us out as we go against a really good team like J Serra.”

The Wolverines, who are the number two seed in their division, will face J Serra High School, the number one seed, on June 19 at Goodwin Field.