Boys’ volleyball earns rematch with Newbury Park for playoff opener

After winning a tight match against the squad on March 16 during the Dos Pueblos Tournament,  the boys’ volleyball team will face Newbury Park again during the first round of CIF Division I playoffs. Newbury Park will visit the favored Wolverines on Tuesday, May 7 at 7:00 p.m. in Taper Gymnasium.

Hudson Ling ’15 said that although the Wolverines won the regular season matchup, the Panthers have a very talented squad and have much more height across the team than the Wolverines. The Wolverines won tournament-style match, where teams play best of three sets instead of the typical best of five sets, two sets to one.

“Newbury Park is a really good squad, but we beat them at the Dos Pueblos Tournament about a month ago so I’m thinking we can do it again,” Ling said. “They’re just huge so we have got to be scrappy.”

The Wolverines are the 16-seed in the 32-team Division I Southern Section championships, while Newbury Park is the 17-seed. The winner will likely face Mira Costa in the second round. Mira Costa is the top seed in this year’s bracket, won the CIF championship last year and plays the winner of a wild card round in its opener.

The complete playoff bracket is available at CIF’s official website: http://www.cifss.org/