Full-back commits to Southern Methodist University

Girls’ soccer full-back Malanna Wheat ’14 committed to play for Southern Methodist University in Dallas, Texas on June 6.

“I knew that I wanted to commit between June and July, definitely before I started senior year, and I had it narrowed down to six schools,” Wheat said. “I chose SMU because, first off, I love Texas. Everything about it – I’m a southern belle at heart, but when I went for a visit I could just tell that I was in good hands. They made sure they did everything they could to make my visit comfortable, I felt wanted, and I had that gut feeling. I think that’s the most important deciding factor in sports recruiting. You’ll know when you have it, and when you do you have to trust yourself. I know solely from that feeling that that’s where I want to be for the next four years of my life.”

Wheat, who helped the girls’ soccer team achieve first place in the Mission League and, at one point, a number one ranking among teams in the western United States, will continue her role on the the defensive line for the Mustangs, although she could either stay as a full-back or move to center-back.

“It just depends on the 2014 personnel in addition to the preexisting team,” Wheat said. “I’ll be whatever I need to be to contribute to the team in order to achieve success.”

The Mustangs are a part of Conference USA, and lost in the second round of playoffs to University of Central Florida last season.

Wheat becomes the second rising senior to commit for girls’ soccer after midfielder Mackenzie Howe ’14 signed for Northwestern University in April.