Flaherty and LaCour head five Wolverine All-CIF First Team selections

Two days removed from earning the titles from the Los Angeles Times, pitcher Jack Flaherty ’14 and baseball head coach Matt LaCour were named Player of the Year and Coach of the Year respectively of the CIF Southern Section. Flaherty, LaCour, outfielder Ezra Steinberg ’15 and graduated catcher Arden Pabst ’13 took home honors for All-CIF Baseball Division I First Team members, while graduated pitcher Chloe Pendergast ’13 was chosen for All-CIF Softball Divsion III First Team.

The three baseball players and their head coach were all instrumental in making up the number one nationally ranked Wolverine team during the 2013 season, which culminated in the team winning the CIF Division I State Championship at Dodger Stadium on May 1. Flaherty pitched a complete game shutout and batted in the only run in the 1-0 Championship game victory against Marina. Steinberg and Pabst both tallied a .376 batting average this season. In the championship game, coming off a throw from left field by Jackson Grayson ’15, the Georgia Tech Commit Pabst tagged out the potential game-tying run at home plate in the bottom of the seventh inning. 

Pendergast pitched a 1.63 ERA, won eleven games and accumulated a .438 batting average this season, which ended with a second round CIF playoff loss to Colton. The Cornell commit threw three no hitters this season, including one in the same week as Flaherty.