Football captures win against North Hollywood

In its first away game of the season, the Wolverine football team defeated the North Hollywood Huskies by a score of 49-14 Friday night.

Harvard-Westlake had already put 42 points up on the board before North Hollywood reached the end zone for the first time late in the third quarter. With a running clock and a 49-7 lead entering the fourth quarter, head coach Scot Ruggles gave his starters, many of whom play on all sides of the ball – offense, defense and special teams – because of a lack of depth, a rest and played second string players, who got their first taste of the field after a much more competitive game against Loyola on Friday, Aug. 30.

The Huskies were held to three-and-outs and did not reach the first down marker until late in the second quarter, with the Wolverines defensive front carefully reading and halting the Huskies’ Wishbone formation-based rushing attack. Harvard-Westlake’s option based rushing attack and screen plays resulted in 7 offensive touchdowns for the team in only three quarters of play.

“This was a good team to face as we work our way into Mission League play,” starting nose-tackle Noah Pompan ’14 said.

Now 2-0 on the season, the Wolverines will head back to Ted Slavin field for their third game, as the team will square off against Granada Hills on Thursday, Sept. 12.