Football defeats Granada Hills in Thursday night matchup

Back at home after a one-game road trip, the Wolverine football team defeated the Granada Hills Highlanders by a score of 47-18. The game was on a Thursday night because of Yom Kippur the next day.

Harvard-Westlake entered halftime leading 19-12 after giving up a last second touchdown, but the team’s spread offense beat their opponent down in the third quarter, winning it by a score of 14-0. Although the Highlanders scored a touchdown early in the fourth quarter to make the score 33-18, they failed to convert an attempted two-point conversion, giving the Wolverines a chance to lock up a win with a long, successful drive.

Quarterback Marshal Cohen ’16 grasped the opportunity and capitalized on his opponents mistake, leading his team down the field and scoring on a one-yard touchdown run with five minutes left, making the score 40-18.  Granada Hills proceeded to go three-and-out, and head coach Scot Ruggles’ spread offense only required four plays to score on a Garrett Robinson ’15 goal line touchdown run, the last score of the game.

The Wolverine offense has averaged 41 points per game in its first three games this season, and players say the teams has played well in all phases.

“Offensively we are clicking,” Desmond Butler ’15 said. “The running game is great and the line’s blocking has been fantastic. Defensively I’ve been really proud of how we’ve gotten 11 guys to the ball playing fast and aggressive. We just have to keep playing hard and we will continue to win.”

With a 3-0 record, the team will begin to prepare for its next game against the Sylmar Spartans next Friday, Sept. 20 at Sylmar High School.