Team drops its first match of the season

After starting off the season 5-0, girls’ golf lost for the first time this year in a match against league rival Notre Dame Oct. 10.

Although the Wolverines shot 221, their second lowest score of the year and their lowest ever at their home Encino Golf Course, they lost by 28 strokes as the Knights shot 193.

The team has just welcomed back Kate Kushi ’14 after she missed the beginning of the season recovering from an injury.

“[It] feels great to be back, it was a huge bummer being out for the first half of the season,” Kushi said. “Everyone is playing great, and I’m glad to see some of the younger players make substantial contributions.”

Kushi, however, will miss the playoffs for the Wolverines as she has official visits that conflict with the team’s schedule.

“Under the new rules for this year if a player misses one round of playoffs she can’t play in subsequent rounds,” Kushi said.  “I tried my best to schedule my official around playoffs but unfortunately everyone is running a really tight schedule and that Monday [Oct. 21] is the only time I could visit.”

This means that captain Maddy Abrahams ’14 will again be the only senior in the lineup come playoff time.  The team started the season off 3-0 without Kushi and once again will count on younger players to step up and help fill Kushi’s place.

“Kate not being with us in CIF or for the rest of the season is definitely a loss,” captain Maddy Abrahams  said.  “But with whatever girls we do bring out onto the course, the philosophy remains the same.”

Abrahams has shot even par in her last two matches, including the loss against Notre Dame.

The squad finished its regular season out with an away match at Oaks Christian Oct. 14, but the results were unavailable as of press time. The Wolverines have a home match against Flintridge Sacred

Heart Academy Oct. 17 before Mission League Prelims get under way Oct. 21.