Girls’ Tennis team ends CIF run in 2nd round

An 11-7 loss against Los Alamitos in the second round of CIF Playoffs Nov. 11 ended the girls’ varsity tennis team’s winning season.  This is the team’s first loss since winning League, going 11-0.
The team’s overall record is 14-3, with its only other losses coming against Peninsula and Santa Barbara.
The standouts of the final match were Rebecca Li ’15, Marissa Karo ’16 and Paige Moelis ’15, in addition to Jenna Moustafa ’17.
“Jenna Moustafa played really well as always,” said captain Levi Craske-Curtin ’14. “She beat a really tough player 6-4 which is like the closest I’ve ever seen an opponent against Jenna.Usually she wins 6-0.”
Despite these noteworthy performances, the team was unable to recreate the success they found last year in beating Los Alamitos.
“Yesterday’s loss was pretty disappointing, but it was not an easy match,” said Rebecca Li ’15.
“In the first set I think we just should’ve started off better,” Craske-Curtin said. “We had the chance to get up on them, so that by the second set, it would’ve been 7-5 but I lost a really important match, and one of the doubles lost an important match.”
When analyzing why the Wolverines were unable to triumph during the start of the match, Craske-Curtin cited fatigue as the cause.
“We never play on Friday, and we had played every day that week, plus the players are required to hit on the weekend,” the captain said. “It’s been about three months of solid practice and games.”
CIF Individuals are set for late November, so while the season has concluded for the team, Moustafa and Craske-Curtin will continue competing individually. Sophie Gunter ’14, Joelle Choi ’17, Isabella De Montesquieu ’16, and Sophie Cohen ’17 will vie for doubles titles.