Girls’ golf team finishes 2nd behind Notre Dame

After entering Mission League Playoffs having lost its last three matches, the girls’ golf team was able to right the ship and finish second in the Mission League league behind its rival, the Notre Dame Knights.

The team ended the season with a 5-3 overall record and a 5-2 league mark, with its league losses coming against Notre Dame and Flintridge Sacred Heart Academy.

“I thought the season went well,” Kate Kushi ’14 said.  “We maintained our status as being the second best team in the league. It’s a bummer we didn’t advance further in CIF, and I wish I could have been there to play.”

Kushi missed the CIF playoffs due to a CIF rule that prohibits players from playing in either the league prelims or league finals if they have to miss anytime earlier in the playoffs, and Kushi missed time for a college visit.

With Kushi gone, captain Maddy Abrahams ’14 was once again the only senior and the only upperclassman on the squad.
“The end of the season I think showed our team as a whole the direction our program needs to go,” Abrahams said. “Our girls have so much potential, and it is just a matter of time until that [translates] into impressive results.”

Abrahams missed the cut to advance further by just two strokes, but she stressed the team’s success especially the roles Emma Kateman ’17 and Paula Lahera ’16 played.

“I am especially proud of the girls like Emma and Paula who took on prominent roles late in the season to fill voids due to absences and injuries the team faced,” Abrahams said.

Kushi echoed Abrahams’ praise of her teammates, “I wish I could have played more, it’s unfortunate that I had both an injury and a CIF conflict,” Kushi said. “But again, very pleased with my season, and the team did a great job covering for me when I was out.”