Sophomore lifts team to double-digit victory

After a solid 2012-13 season, the girls’ basketball team has picked up where last year’s team left off and have opened with a 4-2 record, most recently defeating Hart 59-41 Dec 16.

The Wolverines begin play Wednesday  in the Santa Barbara Tournament Of Champions.

They began the season with three wins in a row, including a 63-24 blowout against Verdugo Hills.

Freshman guard Sydney Tsutsui ’17 posted 17 points, and 6-foot tall forward Camille Oswald ’17, who scored 13 points, both shot 75% from the field.

The Wolverines finally hit their first bump in the road against Fairfax, falling 47-36. Despite the loss, the team bounced back and defeated Burroughs 77-63.

Guard Teeana Cotangco ’15, one of the veterans and leaders of a young Wolverine team, pointed out the specific areas of the game where the team can step up their game.

“They came back stronger in the third quarter and we fell behind,” Cotangco said. “I think being more aggressive on defense will help us improve and win easier.”

Guard Lindsey Tse ’16 scored a team high and career 33 points in the victory against Burroughs.

“Everyone’s effort and dedication has really contributed to our success,” Tse said. “We’ve all been working really hard to get to where we are.”

Although the team is young, with three freshmen, Tsutsui, Oswald and forward Lauren Lapesarde ’17 receiving quality playing time, the Wolverines have been able to bond and gel as a team both on and off the court.

“I think that the fact that we are all so close translates onto the floor, making us a great team,” Oswald said.

“This year we’re more well-rounded,” Cotangco said. “Everybody contributes every game. We’re better, skill-wise, all around, where everyone has had a few years of game experience.”

The Wolverines’ teamwork is displayed in their consistent and efficient fast break, which has been an aspect of the game that the team has excelled in these first five games. Despite the success on the run, there is still room for improvement, especially in the rebounding and defensive areas of the game.

“Our ability to transition into our fast break and finish easy layups has really helped us get to being 4-1 early on in the season,” Cotangco said. “One of our strengths would be the ability to run the floor and get layups,” Oswald said. “I don’t think our team necessarily has weaknesses but more things to work on, like execution.”