Senior captains lead experienced team

After a winning 12-3 season, the boys’ golf team returns this spring with a more experienced team. The team opens its season March 4 against school rival Loyola High School.

During the 2013 season, Loyola was responsible for two of the team’s three losses, with the other at the hands of Notre Dame.

The team is looking at this first game both as a chance to claim a victory against a long-time rival and also as a test to see where the Wolverines stand as a team compared to the best in the Mission League.

“I think we are the two top teams in league so it’s a good test to have early in the season,” Lepler said. “It’ll really show us where we’re at and where we’ll need to improve, because we won’t be able to get away with silly mistakes.”

Lepler is one of the two captains, along with USC-commit Bakari Bolden ’14 who led the team last year.

Bolden was the only player on last year’sd team to advance to the first round of the individual CIF playoffs.

Along with the senior experience, the Wolverines will also be adding freshman Brandon Kewalramani ’17.

“I definitely think this is our best season with regards to chemistry. Varsity has kids from freshman to senior, but we all get along so well that it makes it fun to get out there every day and get better,” Lepler said. “Also, talent wise I think we are stacked this year. We have a bunch of guys who I think are really going to break out this year and play great golf.”

Head Coach Tony Kewalramani begins his third season with the boys’ golf team, implementing a competitive environment during the three practices per week leading up to the spring season.

“Almost all of our practices count towards your ranking on the team, so day in and day out we are all having to play under pressure, which will prepare us well for league matches,” Lepler said. “I think everyone practices on their own things, but when it comes down to it in matches, making clutch putts can put the team over the top.”

The Wolverines finished in fourth place in the Mission League Championship match last season.

“Our goal is to win league and go on from there. We know we are the best team this year, so we just have to go out there and show it,” Lepler said.