Wolverines prepare for postseason run following Arcadia Invitational

As the postseason approaches, the track and field team is making its final tune-ups and preparations necessary for success. The team is coming off of a dominating performance at the Brentwood Invitational on April 25 in which both the boys’ and girls’ squads came out victorious in an eight-team field.

At the Brentwood Invitational the girls’ team won with a total of 161 points, and the boys’ team won with a total of 150 points.

“I’m extremely happy with our performance at Brentwood,” Track and Field Head Coach Jonas Koolsbergen said. “It really reinforced the hard work we put in throughout the regular season. At this point, we are continuing our evolution toward the championship meets.”

The girls’ team clinched their third consecutive Mission League title with an April 11 win over Chaminade. Efe Agege ’14, Shea Copeland ’15, Courtney Corrin ’16 and Lizzy Thomas ’14 are among the athletes to propel the team to the title. Copeland was named Athlete of the Month by the Student Athlete Advisory Committee in March after breaking the school record in the girls’ 100-meters with a 12.13 run at the Mt. Carmel Invitational.

“Agege has stepped up,” Koolsbergen said. “She had a school record in the triple jump at Arcadia. Corrin has also had a great season, setting a national leading long jump mark at the Mt. Sac Relays.”

Koolsbergen also cited Alexandria Florent ’15 and David Manahan ’14 as athletes he expects to step up in Mission League and CIF meets.

The team competed at the Arcadia Invitational on April 11 and 12. The meet is widely considered to be one of the most competitive meets in the country.

“Arcadia is always a great opportunity,” Koolsbergen said. “It really is the best in-season invitational in the country. We did well there once again, playing in a number of very good relays, including both the girls’ and boys’ 4 x 200 as well as the girls’ and boys’ sprint medley.”

The team had its senior day yesterday as it hosted Marymount and Yeshiva.

“We say this group is an excellent group who competes well and has a strong approach to their work,” Koolsbergen said. “This group has enjoyed great success. Among them are CIF champions, State finalists, people who have been in really high-level spots and competed in high-level competitions in our sport.”

Koolsbergen holds high expectations for the Wolverines heading into the postseason, which includes both the Mission League Finals and the CIF Prelims.

“We definitely want to compete well at the Mission League Championships,” Koolsbergen said. “We want to qualify as many athletes as possible for CIF Championship competition, and then ultimately want to finish the season as a strong team with strong individuals.”

The Mission League Finals will be held May 8 at Occidental College, and will be followed by CIF Preliminaries May 17 at Estancia High School. The following meets are CIF Masters and the State meet.

Runners that finish in the top three places or hit the hard mark qualifying time, length or height at Mission League Finals will continue on to CIF Prelims the following week to compete in the same event.