Football team bounces back in big way

The football team bounced back from its blowout loss to Loyola with an emphatic 34-9 victory over Granada Hills on a sweltering Friday night.

The win marks the first of the 2014 campaign and evens the the team’s record to 1-1.

It was 85 degrees when the varsity team took the field. Earlier, the JV game started late and played only three quarters because of the heat.

Marshal Cohen ’16 made his return to the field after being sidelined for the last 11 months. In limited playing time, Cohen made his presence felt by delivering a touchdown pass to Nick O’Brien ’17.

Cohen shared snaps at quarterback with Ryan Dominick ’17 and Noah Rothman ’16. Both players contributed with touchdowns; Dominick on the ground and Rothman through the air with a 38-yard strike to Carter Begel ’17 just before the half.

Senior running back and team captain Garrett Robinson ’15 also added two second-half touchdowns to the Wolverines output, as part of a 139-yard performance on the day.

The defense played its part in the win by holding the Granada offense, who was without their starting quarterback, to only 12 total yards and no touchdowns. The team forced multiple turnovers including a recovered fumble by linebacker Cameron Welther ’17 and an interception by linebacker Mike Mapes ’16.

The team will play Taft next Friday at home on Ted Slavin Field.