Varsity football faces Crescenta Valley in CIF playoffs

The Wolverines will face the Crescenta Valley Falcons in the first round of the CIF-Southern Section Southeast Division playoffs. Kickoff is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. next Friday at Glendale High School, as the Falcons were awarded home field advantage for winning their league but do not play their home games on campus.

Crescenta Valley was one of just two teams (in addition to St. Francis) in the Southeast Division to go undefeated, going 7-0 in league play en route to a first place finish in the Pacific League. Harvard-Westlake finished third in the Angelus League after finishing with three wins and two losses in league play.

High school football experts in the Los Angeles area tweeted that this Wolverines-Falcons matchup is a strong one.

16 of 33 teams in the Southeast Division advance to the playoffs; the top three teams in each of the division’s five leagues and one at-large bid awarded by the CIF to Angelus League 4th place finisher Salesian, whom they determined was the division’s best remaining team. The bracket for the single-elimination tournament was released on Sunday at noon.

The winner of this game will advance to the second round and face the winner of the Norwalk-Paramount matchup. The Southeast bracket, as well all other CIF-Southern Section brackets, can be downloaded here.