Squad upset in first round of playoffs

After coming off a season where they only lost one game during the regular season and ended up winning the Los Angeles Field Hockey Association Championship, the Wolverines’ field hockey team came up short in their attempt to repeat as champions this season.

Harvard-Westlake went undefeated in Sunset League play, only allowing one goal in all eight league games. The squad did this without the help of their opening day goalie Daniela Grande ’16, who was out with back and leg injuries for most of the year.

“It was incredibly frustrating for me not being able to play throughout the season,” Grande said. “I tried to coach both my sister and the JV goalie, but it could not replace actually being on the field.”

However the team came up short in their attempt to go to the finals for a third straight season with a first round playoff loss to Marina High School. The Wolverines lost 1-0 in their opening round game.

With Alex Grande ’16 starting in goal, as her sister Daniela Grande was out with various injuries, the defense was not the team’s problem. Marina’s only score came on a breakaway wrist shot at the end of the first halfThe offense which had been on fire all season, went cold, and could not put one past the Marina goalie, causing the defeat.

With Maddie Oswald ’15, who is committed to Georgetown, leading the charge with the most goals on the squad, the team will look to rebound next year after the loss of five seniors and starting goalie Daniela Grande, who is currently ineligible to play next year, but is petitioning to the CIF to be able to play a fifth high school season.

“We didn’t end the season with the outcome that we were hoping for, but we improved a lot this year, and I am excited to see how we can continue to grow next season,” Caitlin Neapole ’16 said.