Lacrosse opens season with non-league blowout over Culver City

In the opening matchup of the 2014-15 season, the varsity lacrosse team proved worthy of its lofty preseason ranking, using a dominant offensive performance to crush Culver City (0-2 overall, 0-0 in Ocean League) on the road by a score of 22-6 on Wednesday night.

The Wolverines, ranked 3rd in the MaxLaxLA preseason coaches’ poll despite a second-round playoff exit a year ago, completely dominated the Centaurs (ranked 14th in the same poll) from start to finish. 2014 Mission League co-player of the year Roman Holthouse ’15 led the way by single-handedly outscoring Culver City with seven goals, and classmate Aaron Drooks ’15 also had a big night with five goals of his own. As a team, the Wolverines’ offensive output was historical, as the squad scored its most goals in one game since an April 2011 victory over Crespi.

The next contest for Harvard-Westlake (1-0 overall, 0-0 in Mission League) should be more of a challenge, as the squad will be traveling to Agoura, ranked 12th in the MaxLaxLA coaches’ poll, for the Chargers’ season opener. The two teams did not play in the 2014 season, but there is some existing history, as Harvard-Westlake eliminated Agoura from the 2013 playoffs in a 16-8 second-round win. The match, recognized as a “Game to Watch” by MaxLaxLA, will take place at Agoura High School at 7 P.M.