Wolverines suffer close defeats

Early in the season, the boys’ volleyball team has lost two close games at home, and stands at 2-2 overall, and 1-2 in the Mission League.

Anchored by a strong senior class, the Wolverines have won comfortably against Oaks Christian and Crespi. However, their losses to Notre Dame and Alemany have both been close, as they have lost each game by one set.

“Most of our losses were close because we don’t lose based on skill,” libero David Ho ’16 said. “Often, we are on par skill-wise with the other teams, but their teamwork toward the end of the games, that we are working to obtain, gets the best of us.”

As the team has the majority of its schedule left, there is little concern about their record thus far.

“I don’t think our current record really reflects how good this team can be,” middle blocker Jeremy Tepper ’15 said. “Those five-set losses are obviously tough ones, but a few plays here and there and we could easily easily be 3-0 in the Mission League. I fully expect to beat Notre Dame and Alemany when we see them again this season.”

The team has been able to rely on strong play from its many seniors this season. Outside hitters Scott Nussbaum ’15 and Hudson Ling ’15 have provided a lift in addition to middle blocker Tepper, setter Brad Comisar ’15 and middle Nico Lubkeman ’15.

The team looks to its seniors for their play as well as their leadership.

“This year, Comisar, Ling and Tepper have stepped up and taken the leadership position,” Ho said. “They really took the initiative to keep everybody focused and playing our game.”

Looking ahead, the team hopes to work together and execute its game plan better, Andrew Lehrhoff ’17 said.

The Wolverines played a league game against St. Francis on Monday, but results were unavailable as of press time.

Later in the season, the Wolverines will play league rival Notre Dame again.