Team struggles in Mission League

The softball team remains positive despite a 2-9-1 overall record and an 0-3 league record before Tuesday’s game against Notre Dame. The results    were unavailable as of press time. The squad has had to adjust after getting seven new players.
“I think sometimes when we lose a game or have a bad practice we forget that, for all the new transitions we’ve had to undergo this year, we’re still doing pretty well,” centerfielder Marina Weidmann ’17 said. “So far we haven’t had the best season, but we always pick ourselves back up and focus on doing better in the future rather than dwelling on the past.”
Most of the new additions joined mid-season because they had been on the girls’ basketball team and the seasons overlapped.
Starting pitcher Hailey de la Vara ’17 missed two games with an injury, so the team has been forced to use  some other players on the mound, including left fielder Stephanie de Soto ’17, second baseman Teeana Cotangco ’15 and third baseman Ashley Waco ’18.
“I was really nervous, because that’s a really important spot to play, but it was fun to get to do something different,” de Soto said.
Softball Program Head Claire Rietmann-Grout is still waiting for confirmation of de la Vara’s condition and when she will be able to play again.
“It was horrible watching from the sidelines and watching my team and not being able to do anything about it,” de la Vara said.
“We haven’t really had any dip in morale from what I can see,” Rietmann-Grout said. “They are still trying their best, still showing up to practice every day, and I’m impressed with that. I know it’s not fun to lose but we’re looking for effort.”