Lacrosse falls in heartbreaker to top-ranked Loyola

In the final regular season matchup for the varsity lacrosse team, the Wolverines came up just short of upsetting the city’s top team, falling to chief rival Loyola (14-3 overall, 8-0 in Mission League play) by a score of 15-14 on Thursday evening at Loyola in a showdown of the league’s top two teams.

The Wolverines (ranked sixth in the MaxLaxLA coaches’ poll) struggled early on in the game, trailing 6-2 after one quarter, but clawed back into contention with a dominant second quarter that made the score 7-7 at the half.

From there, it was a back and forth battle, with neither team ever leading by more than two goals. Unfortunately for Harvard-Westlake, the Cubs (ranked first by MaxLaxLA) sealed the win on a goal by Harrison Mac ’15 with under three minutes remaining to break a 14-14 tie, as the Wolverines were unable to respond in an eventual one-goal loss.

Tommy Park ’18 led the team with a career-high six goals, helping the Wolverines fill the voids left by injured attackmen Paul Rodriguez ’18 and Jared Goldman ’18.

Harvard-Westlake concludes its regular season at 10-7 overall and 5-3 in Mission League play, still in second place in the league due to head-to-head goal differential vs. Crespi (also 5-3 in league). The Wolverines are assured of a home playoff game on May 5, but do not yet know their opponent, as the CIF Southern Section Northern Division seeding meeting will take place on May 3 at Culver City High School. If the current rankings hold, Harvard-Westlake will be the #6 seed in the 16-team bracket.