Senior pitcher commits to Navy

Starting pitcher Gabe Golob ’16 has committed to the U.S. Naval Academy to play college baseball.

Golob compiled a 6-2 record in his starts last season, and threw for a Mission League low 1.17 ERA in 54 IP, along with 50 K. The pitcher was a key part of the Wolverines’ playoff success last season, throwing for 3.1 innings and no earned runs in a 11-10 victory over Mater Dei in the wild card round of the playoffs.

Even with his success last year, Golob is already relishing the opportunity ahead of him at Navy.

“I’m really excited for the challenge and opportunity that goes along with attending the Naval Academy,” Golob said. “My teammates, coaches, friends and family have given me so much support throughout this long process and I couldn’t have done it with out them. I’m extremely grateful to have the opportunity to attend such an amazing school.”

Just like he did with his relationship with his current teammates and coaches, Golob immediately felt a strong connection with the baseball program at Navy.

“I’ve developed such a great relationship with the coaching staff over the past year,” Golob said. “I really felt at home as soon as I stepped onto campus.”

Golob’s coaches praised the pitcher’s growth and his connection to the community around him.

“When an individual truly cares about his team, school, and the collective good, it’s easy to get behind that person,” head coach Jared Halpert said. “Gabe is absolutely invested in everything he does and is one of the baseball program’s trusted leaders. He has rapidly grown into one of our top players and earned the opportunity to compete at the next level. Navy was one of Gabe’s first choices for college and we are proud to have him joining such an incredible institution.”