Annual chapel Christmas service features singing, readings

Readings from the Bible and choral offerings from the middle school Madrigals highlighted Sunday night’s traditional Christmas service in St. Saviour’s Chapel.

One student council member from each grade, as well as Parents’ Association Head Becky Prange (Marco Marenzi ’17 and Alesandra Marenzi ’12), Head of School Jeanne Huybrechts and President Rick Commons read a passage each for a total of nine passages. Student Council Senators India Brittenham ’19, Mason Rodriguez ’18 and Matt Thomas ’17 and prefects Hunter Brookman ’16, Sarah Winshel ’15 and Greg Lehrhoff ’14 read as well.

Those in attendance sang traditional Christmas carols “O Come, O Come Emmanuel,” “It Came Upon the Midnight Clear,” “The First Nowell,” “O Little Town of Bethlehem,” “Oh Come, All Ye Faithful,” “Hark! The Herald Angels Sing” and “Joy to the World.” The Madrigals, conducted by middle school performing arts teacher Nina Burtchaell, sang “Of the Father’s Love Begotten,” “The Shepherds Sing” and “A Child is Born in Bethlehem” with Sara Lucas ’17 as a soprano soloist and accompanied on harp by Claire Dennis ’18, on clarinet by Brennan Lee ’17 and on piano by middle school performing arts teacherhfvy Christopher Wong.

Chelsea Pan ’14 played the flute, Sara Zhao ’16 the violin, Ray Kim ’14 the clarinet and Sam Lee ’16 the cello in the instrumental offering “Holly and the Ivy.”

Father J. Young led the service and delivered a homily at the end that highlighted the disparity between the “Christmas card” image of Christmas and the actual intended takeaway of the story.

“We always have the option of visiting the story once a year, with Christmas card imagery, and appreciating it as sweet but not really grasping its whole meaning. The story’s true value comes in its gritty reality, its affirmation of the human experience,” Young said.