Buy me a ticket, make me a match

The preparations for the upper school play “The Matchmaker” started during casting the week of Nov. 18.

The actors have been reading and memorizing their lines for their first run through of the play, which is scheduled to take place on Dec. 15. The rehearsals are being held on Mondays through Thursdays after school, as well as on Sundays from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.

Tickets for the show will be on sale beginning in early January.

“Things are going very well,” stage director Sarah Jensen ’14 said. “[Performing arts teacher Ted] Walch is an amazing director, and the actors are all great. Many of them are almost completely off-book, which is very impressive this early in the process.”

The set design was completed during the casting, and the stagehands have since started construction of the set itself.

The most progress on the set has been made in the construction of the flats of the main set. Flats are  the pieces of scenery that are used in a play to give  it the appearance of having a background.

“I think it’s going really well,” Sophie Sunkin ’14 said. “Everyone is so talented, and I think a lot of good work has been coming out of it. We are still putting it all together, but I think, in the end, it’ll be a great show.”

“The Matchmaker” is a romantic comedy farce by Thorton Wilder that takes place in New York during the 1880s-90s.

The play depicts the complicated story of several characters’ intertwined journeys for love and adventure.

“It’s really well cast, I like everyone in the show and I’m really excited to perform in it,” Joey Lieberman ’14 said.