Outreach Performers give holiday performances

The Harvard-Westlake Outreach Performers club sang classic holiday songs and recited poetry to children and senior citizens in two performances Dec. 13.

The group presented the poem “The Nightmare Before Christmas” by Tim Burton, which became the basis for the 1993 film, to the children at the Ronald McDonald House.

They performed “A Child’s Christmas in Wales” by Dylan Thomas and “The Gift of the Magi” by O. Henry at the senior living community Sunrise of Playa Vista.

Each poem was adapted for the performance by group leader Covi Brannan ’15 and broken up into shorter segments for students to recite individually.

“I really wanted the group members to come up with the show itinerary together, so I brought in a bunch of winter-themed poems, and other people brought in their favorite Christmas carols or holiday songs,” Brannan said.

Both programs included holiday songs such as “Let it Snow,” “Baby, It’s Cold Outside,” “White Christmas” and “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas.”

Students also performed the songs “Do You Want to Build a Snowman?” and “Reindeers are Better than People” from the 2013 animated Disney film “Frozen” for the children at the Ronald McDonald House.

“My favorite part was definitely talking with our audiences before and after our shows,” Carlos Guanche ’16 said. “It was really nice to meet them and feel like we were really helping bring some joy into their lives.”