Prefect Council hosts first Coffee House of the year

Elizabeth Edel 16, accompanied by Michael Edwards 16 on the piano, sings Bonnie Raitts I Cant Make You Love Me, at the first Coffee House of the school year. Credit: Claire Dennis/Chronicle
Elizabeth Edel ’16, accompanied by Michael Edwards ’16 on the piano, sings Bonnie Raitt’s “I Can’t Make You Love Me,” at the first Coffee House of the school year. Credit: Claire Dennis/Chronicle
Elizabeth Edel '16, accompanied by Michael Edwards '16 on the piano, sings Bonnie Raitt's "I Can't Make You Love Me," at the first Coffee House of the school year. Credit: Claire Dennis/Chronicle

Students and faculty filled Chalmers Lounge for the first Coffee House of the school year Monday, featuring 14 singers and musicians, as well as a comic and a slam-poet.

Throughout the performances, students could have coffee and baked goods in the lounge, which was decorated in a coffee house style.
Students performed a variety of songs, ranging from Adele’s “All I Ask,” performed by Michael Edwards ’16 to John Lennon’s “Imagine,” performed by Michael Gaven ’18.
Senior Prefect Shelby Weiss ’16 hosted the event, along with fellow prefects Charlie Noxon ’17 and JP Cherry ’18.
“I thought it was super successful especially for the first Coffee House of the year,” Weiss said. “I was most excited about the huge turnout and the audience’s enthusiasm. And the talent was amazing as always.”
Some students enjoyed the experience of performing in the Coffee House.
“I felt really good about this performance” Gaven said. “I did have to adjust my emotions when I realized that I was going to be singing for a much bigger crowd than I expected, but I feel that I did that just fine. The audience was absolutely great and very supportive, and I was proud and happy with the way I performed.”
Some of the performers said they appreciated the opportunity to share their talents with their peers.
“It was cool to get to do the Coffee House, and I had a lot of fun,” said Jack Stovitz ’16, who performed a stand-up comedy routine.