Assembly highlights February activities, events

Today’s upper school assembly highlighted upcoming opportunities for students, such as the rose sale for actors in the play, the Stonecutters Magazine deadline, and logo contest for the upcoming Festival To Spring event.

Members of the Social Committee will be selling roses to give to actors in the play, “Madwoman of Chaillot,” this week on the quad for anyone to purchase. Shows will be Friday at 8 p.m., Saturday at 7 p.m., and Sunday at 1 p.m.

The deadline to submit to the print edition of the Stonecutters Magazine is Feb. 16. All students are encouraged to submit art and or literature online and view submissions weekly.

The annual Academic Fair will take place Feb. 17 in Taper Gym for rising juniors and seniors to preview and learn about classes for the upcoming school year.

The Character Community Committee is hosting a logo contest for the upper school field day, Festival to Spring, on Mar. 24. Students can email their logo to Darlene Bible for a chance to win a Starbucks gift card.

Black Leadership and Awareness Culture Club will host Dr. Ange-Marie Hancock, Associate Professor of Political Science and Gender Studies at University of Southern California, on Feb 29 in Taper Gym for an upper school assembly. Hancock specializes in studies of intersectionality and has written several books, which will be available for purchase at a reception following the assembly.

“There’s this idea that America can’t pay attention to more than one social movement at the same time. The ‘Oppression Olympics’ is a cognitive filter that many of us feel is out of our hands,” said Hancock in a promotional film clip that was shown to students.

Representatives from the poetry festival, Wider Than the Sky, encouraged students to volunteer as ambassadors at the event, with the opportunity to earn community service hours. The school will host students from any Los Angeles school to participate in workshops and hear guest poets in April.

The Student Athlete Advisory Council awarded Henry Vogel ’16 and Paige Howard ’17 Athlete of the Month for January for their contributions to the boys’ varsity basketball and girls’ varsity soccer.

HW Inc. will host an entrepreneurship workshop, Intrapreneurs, June 13-18.