School to hold week-long service opportunities

Prefect Council and Community Council will combine Community Service Week and the screening of March Madness March 14-18.

A community service fair during break will take place on the quad Monday. Representatives of non-profit organizations will speak with students about upcoming events and ways to get involved.

During class meetings, students will take part in grade-specific activities designed to help local charities.

“We want to present all the community service opportunities from our school and in the broader community to students so they know what they can get involved in and how to give back to our community,” Annabel Lassally ’16 said.

Throughout the week, students will be able to participate in a school-wide March Madness competition against Team Bot, a group of students headed by math teacher Bill Thill, who will use mathematics to project the outcomes of the games. Students will vote for their top five charities, and the top two will be paired with the top two seeded March Madness teams. The charity corresponding to the winning team will receive $1,000 from Charity Council and Prefect Council.

To conclude the week, the councils will stream the NCAA tournament in Taper Gym. “Let’s Have a Cart Party” food trucks will serve dessert.