Candy, ‘WALL-E’ screening to kick off Earth Week Monday

Harvard-Westlake will go green next week when the Environmental Club hosts festivities in honor of Green Week . The club plans to expand on their regular Earth Day celebration where they gave away ice cream and candy to raise awareness for Earth Day. This year they hope that a weeklong celebration will help to get the message out to a lot more people.

This year’s Earth Week festivities will be headlined by a screening of “WALL-E” on Monday after school before Peer Support. There will also be educational displays, candy giveaways, signups for community service, as well as a clothing drive to continue to raise awareness. The community service signups will be for events with the Tree People.

“Our main goal is just to get people thinking environmentally in a fun way,” said club leader Kevin Adler ’13.

“We don’t have a goal that can be measured, but we hope to just make people a little more conscious of their ecological footprint. It’s easy to forget our impacts on the environment when we don’t see immediate causes and effects right before our eyes. Hopefully, if we are a little more aware, we can reduce waste and clean up the Earth a little bit more,” Adler said.

On Monday at break there will be candy giveaways, some general environmental tips, and signups for community service with the Tree People. There will also be two all week events, a clothing drive with bins in the lounge and paper displays designed to make people aware of the amount of paper waste at Harvard-Westlake. There will also be a bake sale all day on Friday with all proceeds going to the Tree People.