Environmental Club kicks off its first Earth Week celebration

Harvard-Westlake is currently in the midst of Green Week festivities hosted by the Environmental Club. The Earth Week celebration is a completely student-run initiative. Green Week is a week-long celebration promoted by the Environmental Club.

This week-long celebration is a step up from the club’s old Earth Day celebration in an attempt to get the message out to more people, according to club members.

“This is our first Earth Week celebration,” Environmental Club leader Kevin Adler ’13 said “In the past, we have celebrated Earth Day by giving away ice cream and candy, just as a reminder that Earth Day exists. We’re hoping that this year, we get our message out to a lot more people.”

Club members gave away candy and signups opened  for community service events  on Monday during break.  “WALL-E” was also screened after school Monday in Chalmers lounge. Bins are available all week long for students to drop off clothing which will be donated to Goodwill. In addition, there are paper artwork displays around campus to demonstrate how much paper waste there is at Harvard-Westlake, as well as various educational displays.

On Friday, there will be an all-day bake sale. The proceeds of this cash-only bake sale will benefit the organization Tree People.

“Our main goal is just to get people thinking environmentally in a fun way,” Adler said. “We hope to just make people a little more conscious of their ecological footprint. It’s easy to forget our impacts on the environment when we don’t see immediate causes and effects right before our eyes.”