Boys’ Golf starts season strong

The boys’ golf team kicked off its season with a win against St. Francis Thurday shooting a team total of 184, spurred by a 1-under-par performance by Trey Fearn ’16.

Alex Hong ’19 had the second lowest mark on the team by shooting par and Brandon Kewalramani ’17 finished at one over par.  Dylan Wan ’18 finished his round at two over par, Matthew Ursin-Smith ’16 finished at three over and Bryant Wu ’17 finished at four over.

This year’s team is led by three seniors: Fearn, Daniel Furman ’16 and Bray Caverly ’16, who all hope to golf in college. Caverly has recently committed to play golf at Kenyon College, a Division III team.

Brandon Kewalramani ’17 adds another routinely low scorer to the fold.

“We just need to play our game,” Kewalramani said. “Every year, we just get in our own way, so that’s the big thing this year. We have to get out of our own way.”

In preseason practice, a main point of focus was teamwork.

“We’ve been working on improving all of our skills while at the same time working on improving our team chemistry,” Furman said. “The captains have tried to bring the team together by spending more time with different players on the team. I think it has been coming along great, and everyone has really bonded together.”

Entering into the fray is Owen Calvin-Smith ’17, who transferred from Loyola this year. Due to CIF transfer rules, he will have to sit out the first month of the season, but he’s taking the extra time to get readjusted to high school golf.

“High school golf is a little different [from outside of school tournaments],” Calvin-Smith said. “You’re coming from school instead of sleeping and waking up in the morning, and it’s nine holes on a course that you might not have played for a long time rather than a course where you have played practice rounds at, so it’s important to just get the reps in and make sure you feel comfortable there.”

The team has its eyes set on making it past the CIF playoffs and to the state championships, which features California’s top 10 teams.

“I know we have a lot of kids who can shoot low enough that we can make it to state,” Calvin-Smith said. “If we make it out of the beginning stages, I feel very confident that we can make it all the way.”

For Kewalramani, the path to state is simple.

“We just have to stay focused,” he said.