Chronicle takes 2nd in state

The Chronicle was awarded second in General Excellence by the California Newspaper Publishers Association Saturday for California high school newspapers published in 2013. Chronicle staffers also won three first place awards, two second place awards and three honorable mentions for individual work.

The awards were announced May 3 at the annual CNPA meeting in San Jose. First place went to the el Estoque from Monta Vista High School in Cupertino, California.

The Chronicle Editorial Board received first in editorial comment for “Dear Mr. President” published in the August issue.

Jack Goldfisher ’14 was awarded first place for sports photography for “Safe at Home” in the August issue. Julia Azuss ’14 received first place in the “Writing” category for “Outside the Binary” from the September issue.

Mazelle Etessami ’14 and Zoe Dutton ’15 received second in the “Feature Story” category for the “Day of the Dead” story in the October issue.

Lizzy Thomas’14 won second place for sports writing for “Scaring ‘em’ Hitless.

Goldfisher won honorable mention for best sports photo for “Coach lets players rest” and for best writing for his profile on President Rick Commons, “New President Stresses Connection to Students.”

Sydney Foreman’14 won honorable mention for feature writing for “Dying to be Thin.”