New Homecoming formal to occur next month

Prefect Council will host a Homecoming formal dance Sept. 28 in Taper Gym, the prefects announced in a staged procession Friday afternoon.

Head Fanatics, football players and cheerleaders drove into the quad in a party bus after eighth period today to announce the formal. When the party bus stopped in the middle of the quad, music started to play from the car as prefects descended the stairs in front of Seaver Hall dressed in formal attire, handing out save the date cards.

Students in grades 10-12 will be able to rent limousines, bring dates and wear formal attire to the dance; however, similar to prom, a pledge will need to be filled out by all students who will attend. Limousines will also be checked, as at prom, before students will be allowed to enter the dance.

“We had the idea at the end of last year that we wanted to create an entirely new event that had no prerequisites or anything like that where we just kind of thought it up and this is the idea that came from it,” Head Prefect Ashley Sacks ’14 said.

The prefects met with Head of Upper School Audrius Barzdukas, Chief Financial Officer Rob Levin and the Planning Committee several times to work out logistics for the event and rules that would be in place, Sacks said.

Barzdukas and Levin gave the prefects official assent Aug. 22, as did the Planning Committee Thursday afternoon.

“Harvard-Westlake is going to have a homecoming dance,” Barzdukas said. “What could be more fun? It’s a great way to build community and it’s a real win for everyone. Homecoming is going to start with a win.”

The dance has been planned for the Saturday before Homecoming in order to allow for all athletes playing in games Oct. 5 to attend and to kick off Fanatic Fest, Sacks said.

“We’re actually really happy it’s in the gym instead of being an off-campus event because the gym just kind of really pulls together that whole school spirit idea,” Sacks said. “It’s not about going off-campus and having a dance; it’s about the formal that celebrates everything that’s going on around campus. It kind of ties it all together.”

Sacks said the prefects strove to create an entirely new event, aiming to combine old traditions and form new ones.

“This is an exciting thing,” President Rick Commons said, observing the procession. “What can be more exciting than a homecoming formal? I’ll be there.”