Girls’ golf earns fourth straight league victory

Karina Guo tees off during the Wolverines’ victory over Notre Dame Sept. 22 Credit: Aaron Park/Chronicle

The girls’ golf team advanced to 4-0 in league play after a 202-210 win over the previously undefeated Notre Dame Knights Sept. 22 at Encino Golf Course.

The win against the Knights, who were the runners-up in the mid-season tournament, came with the Wolverines’ closest margin of victory this season.

“Right before the game, we sort of got together, we were like ‘we know we can do this’ because last year we won the mid-season and it was rocky after that,” Claire Dennis ’18 said. “But we knew this year we wanted to take on Notre Dame so that we could be victorious all the way through and so it boosted our morale a lot.”

Coming of a season-best performance on Tuesday, Josie Baker ’18 once again led the Wolverines, shooting 1-over 38. Carolyn Hong ’17 and Dennis each set their season-low scores at 3-over 40 and 6-over 43, respectively.

“We’re getting lower and lower and lower and it’s really awesome to see how everyone’s just getting better throughout the season,” Dennis said.

With the best record in the Mission League, the Wolverines are closing in on their first league championship since 2008.  Despite the team’s run of success, players are trying to stay focused on the day-to-day aspect of the game.

“I feel like last year we got a little too up in the clouds after we had a pretty good run, so this year I think we should be a little more grounded,” Karina Guo ’18 said. “But we know where we stand, and we know that we’re capable, so anything’s possible.”

The team has three games remaining in this season, including a match against Marlborough Oct. 4, the reigning Mission League champions. The Wolverines will face the Marymount Sailors next Sept. 29 at Rancho Park Golf Course.