Council adds fair to annual service week

Community Council will host the first ever Community Service Fair during Break Dec. 9 as a part of the annual Community Service week Dec. 9-13.

“The goal is essentially to establish a stronger presence of community service at our school,” Head of Community Council Tatiana Ettensberger ’14 said. “This has always been our goal, but the need to reach it became more obvious after the Civitalks activity in which students drew posters embodying Harvard-Westlake. Almost none of them depicted community service as a significant aspect, and we just don’t think that’s right.”

A Community Service Fair will include booths from existing community service clubs and non-profit organizations not affiliated with the school.

“Each day there will be interactive activities for specific organizations,” Lili Cohen ’15 said. “We are also bringing some really special speakers to class meetings.”

Charities such as Big Sunday, City Year and Meals on Wheels will be present at the fair, although the Community Council is currently working on involving more non-profit organizations. Operation Gratitude, United in Harmony and St. Francis Center will  participate later in the week.

“I’m really looking forward to see our work come to life and hopefully students will leave with a greater sense of how much they can both gain and give by community service and impact the world around them,” Becca Katz ’15 said.

Profits from a bake sale Nov. 7 will be used to purchase supplies for care packages and will be assembled by students during community service week.