Workload committee begins data analysis

The workload study committee convened for its first meeting Dec. 12 at the Middle School, where committee members met each other for the first time and went through the surveys and data collected from students in all grades through the workload survey administered in November. Each person on the 15-member committee then received a binder full of the data collected in the survey.

“The committee hadn’t yet looked through everything, so before we move forward with analysis and subsequent recommendations, we want to make sure everyone is up to speed with all the data,” middle school Dean of Faculty and Latin teacher Moss Pike said.

Pike, along with science teacher David Hinden, is overseeing the project.

The committee, which consists of two students, two parents, deans, teachers and other administrators, hopes to meet every other Thursday from January to May, in at least eight meetings in total.Pike said while the committee did not have enough time at the meeting to analyze specific numbers, some that they briefly looked at verified what they had always thought.

“We know that Harvard-Westlake students don’t get as much sleep as we’d all like, and the numbers reflect that,” Pike said.

Almost 120,000 total data points were collected as part of the survey and it will take time to break the data down, Pike said.