Boys’ basketball does league double over Loyola

On a night that saw Loyola start four seniors, and Harvard-Westlake start three freshmen, the Wolverines boys’ basketball team barely edged out the Cubs 70-66 after overtime Jan. 27.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPy-aAojqKG/?taken-by=hwathletics

The squad was boosted by the return of Ali Iken ’17 and Cassius Stanley ’19, who were both absent in the team’s loss against Alemany just a few days before. Stanley recorded 20 points during the match, while Iken recorded multiple assists.

A majority of Stanley’s points came in the second half and overtime portions of the game, accounting for 15 of his 20 points. There were moments when Stanley seemed shaken, however. A fast break in the third quarter resulted in the Loyola head coach blocking Stanley’s path to the basket briefly, resulting in a technical foul that was converted.

The team also benefitted from the freshman that started, as Johnny Juzang ’20 tallied 14 points, and Mason Hooks ’20 totaled 18 points. Other players stepped in at key moments, as Carter Begel ’17 did in overtime. Begel’s quick layup in the first minute of overtime gave the Wolverines the lead for the first time since the first quarter. Begel scored four points for the Wolverines in overtime.

This game marked the squad’s second win this season over the Cubs, completing a league double that saw both home and away wins. Additionally, the Wolverines are now 6-2 in league play, sitting second in the Mission League standings. Only trailing Alemany, the squad will look toward its next game Jan. 30 against Crespi.