Admissions director weds former mayor

Former Los Angeles Mayor Richard Riordan married Director of Admission Elizabeth Gregory on Feb. 19 after a three-month engagement.

Riordan was the 39th Mayor of Los Angeles from 1993 to 2001 and served as Secretary of Education under Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger.

He is also a businessman and founder of the Riordan Foundation that was started in 1981. Currently, Riordan focuses on educational issues and his foundation’s mission is to support charter schools and to help bring high-quality education to public schools, especially those in low-income communities that don’t have enough financial resources or opportunities.

Gregory has been working at the school for 46 years, starting off as a photography and filmmaking teacher. She then became a dean and, later, Director of Financial Aid. She is currently the Director of Admissions.

“My job entails selecting the people that we think, as an admission committee, will have the best chance of being happy and successful at Harvard-Westlake,” Gregory said.

The couple met five years ago and got engaged three months ago. Riordan and Gregory were married at St. James’ Episcopal Church with a private ceremony that included a few friends and family.
“I was very lucky to meet Mayor Riordan and fall in love with him and have a second chance at another marriage and love in my life,” Gregory said.