Students, faculty donate in Red Cross Blood Drive

Students donate blood as part of the Red Cross Blood Drive on April 28. Credit: Ryan Albert/Chronicle

The school hosted a Red Cross Blood Drive in Chalmers Lounge on Friday.

Students, parents and faculty were able to participate in the blood drive, which was run by American Red Cross staff.

Blood Drive Coordinator Tamara Whit managed the event and briefed students about the process of donating blood before they underwent a brief physical exam given by staff.

Student Alex Bucur ‘19 donated blood for the second time, with his first time being the school’s UCLA blood drive last fall.

“My parents talked about [donating blood] and I was like ‘you know what let’s just try it’ and then it was really cool,” Bucur said.

Giving blood took about 15 minutes per donor.

Afterward, the Red Cross provided refreshments in order to revitalize them after their donation.

The Red Cross advised students to not partake in any strenuous activities for 12 hours after giving blood, but reassured student athletes that their body would replace their fluids in 24 hours.

Additionally, volunteers received three hours of community service and free Red Cross giveaways at the event.

Whit said that most schools that their organization visits don’t have nearly as many parent volunteers.

“So far I think 50 percent of the donors have been faculty and parents,” Whit said near the end of the event.

After the Red Cross collects the blood they bring it to a facility to test, process and ship it to hospitals in need.

According to Whit, donated blood reaches hospitals within five days.

“Every two seconds someone in the U.S. needs blood, and it is important because when you donate a pint of blood you can save three people,” Whit said.

Intending to coincide with the blood drive, the school’s Red Cross Club sold donuts on the quad to raise money for the organization.

Many donors recommended the experience to friends worried about the process.

“[Donating blood] is really interesting and I encourage people to do it,” Bucur said. “People are afraid that it will hurt or something, but it is actually really fun.”