Model UN delegates win at local conference

Six members of the Model United Nations club won awards at a conference they attended Nov. 8-9 at UCLA.

At the BruinMUN tournament, participants worked together as co-delegates in their discussions.

Jaebok Lee ’16 and Grace Pan ’16 won the best delegate award, the highest award available, for their work on the Novice Security Council.

Lauren Kim ’17 and Neda Mazdisnian ’16 received an honorable mention in the Novice United Nations Human Rights Council and Tiffany Kim ’17 and Isobel Phillips ’17 won an honorable mention in the Novice United Nations Development Programme.

History teacher and club adviser Celia Goedde, who chaperoned the tournament, said she was pleased with the students’ achievements.

“I thought the students did really well,” Goedde said. “[Tournaments] are always a challenging environment, and because we have a smaller program than others, success is really on the shoulders of the students and the time and effort they put in.”

Sixteen delegates will discuss international politics at their second conference this year at the Los Angeles Invitational MUN held at Mira Costa High School Dec. 6-7.

Ten novice and six advanced delegates will represent various countries as dual or single delegates in different UN committees.

The novice conferences will be held only on Dec. 6 while advanced conferences will last both days.

“The purpose for novice members is to learn what Model UN is and to get used to its procedures,” Lee said. “For experienced members, it will be to exercise what they have learned and to solve world problems.”

Although there is no requirement to be an advanced delegate, club leaders encouraged students new to MUN to register as novice delegates.

“I am going to try novice and hopefully get a better understanding of how MUN works since the BruinMUN this year was my first [conference] and it wasn’t novice so it was hard for me to understand what was going on,” Leena Lim ’16 said.