Girls’ tennis season ends with CIF defeat

The girls’ tennis team lost to Palos Verdes in the first round of the CIF Playoffs by a score of 3-15. The Wolverines finished the season with an overall record of 8-4 and had only one league loss for the second season in a row.

The CIF matchup saw the girls facing an opponent who they had lost to 4-14 earlier on in the season. Despite the season ending loss, team members saw positives in the way the match went.

“The team was pretty disappointed because we really wanted to move on to the next round, but I think we were all really proud of how we played,” Grace Swift ’19 said. “Everyone was cheering each other on and energy was high until the end.”

Another player reflected that they had given it their best attempt.

We lost but we left it all on the court so I don’t think the score reflected how we played,” Chloe Donovan ’19 said. “We all had so much energy and ended the season on a high note.”

Having played Palos Verdes earlier in the season, the girls had an idea of what to expect from their opponent.

“We already knew that this team was going to be tough,” Lara Mikhail ’18 said. “We played them in the beginning of the season and lost 4-14. They have a lot of high-caliber players. We were hoping to get a little bit better of a result but we honestly were not expecting to wipe them out. Everyone just went in with the mindset that they were just going to get everything back and fight till the very last point.”

Players only had positive things to say about the season as a whole.

“Next year, it would great if we got farther in CIF but my main goal is to have an experience as great as this year has been.” Donovan said. “I feel so bonded to my teammates that it feels like a family, which I hope is continued next year because it is something really special.”

And that’s a wrap on this season! ? Till next year! #squad

A post shared by Harvard-Westlake Girls Tennis (@hwgirlstennis) on